Final Fantasy Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Fantasy made with the NWN engine

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Tigger Events and Cr calculations

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mastenship

Tigger Events and Cr calculations Empty
PostSubject: Tigger Events and Cr calculations   Tigger Events and Cr calculations Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am

I know that at least one person will read this who can translate what I am saying into the appropriate coding. I am sure that this will take some time to implement.
First off I want to make sure that you understand I am speaking in very general terms. The names of creatures, specific events, ect. are only there as examples, not as rule.

1) Variable distance between the trigger point of an encounter, and the area where the creatures actually show up
This can be done to allow for several styles of gameplay. It can also take into account skills such as spot or listen, to push the encounter out further. Our character, Plebe the Wizard currently has goblins and wolves spawning right on top of him. This can make Plebe really worried, as he must now regularly roll his concentration skill in order to cast his magic missle. With the variable distance, Plebe has a better chance of getting a spell off before being forced into melee combat with the local badies.
A couple of things need to be taken into account when using this method. The first thing is maximum possible distance from the trigger point before running into a solid object, the second is how to implement skills such as spot and listen.
Naturally you do not want to have a spawn get stuck in a tree or rock. Figuring out the size and shape of the terrain area is important. In some cases (such as a hallway or a canyon floor) you will be working with long rectangular areas, in other cases (such as a field), you will be working with a circular area. In any case, you have to define by mathematics the minimum and maximum placements the trigger can work with. You also have to decide if it is possible for an enemy to appear behind the character(s). In some cases it simply won't make any sense (such as having cleared out a room already). This formula can be a pretty standard cookie cutter affair for each terrain type, and I don't imagine more than 10 of these formulas need to be made. In any case, once the very first one is created, the rest is just a matter of common sense and using a x=,y= approach to make your triggered events occur in a circle, square, rectangle, or triangle of any size deemed appropriate. Once the trigger makes a decision on where to place the creatures in question, there should be one other calculation. I don't know if this secondary calculation is possible, but having the person who hit the trigger roll a spot or listen check should be factored in with the distance from that person the encounter appears. I am sure some reasonable distance can be decided upon, but the enemies should be spawned a little closer or a little further depending on the roll that was made.

2) Variable CR triggers based on who is on a map

This one may be a much more difficult to implement, and there will definitely be some minimums and maximums to set in place.
We all know that certain areas of the game should not be visited by low-level characters. If they happen to stumble upon the lair of a dragon then "oh well". roll up another one (or re-spawn). However, there is a way to maintain a map's challenge to slightly higher character levels than what it was originally intended for, and to force a team concept. Here's how is works.
There is a trigger at map entrance/exit A (ME:A). This trigger is hooked up to all the other encounter triggers on the map (except other entrances/exits). It reads the Character Level of the person who shows up, and sends this as a stored variable to all the encounter triggers. When character Plebe the Wizard hits an encounter trigger, the trigger refers to a table that says "aha--we should choose this, this , and this to challenge Plebe". Any pencil and paper DM is probably familiar with random encounter tables and how they relate to terrain, CR, time of day, and whatever other variable the DM feels inclined to include. It can be as simple or as complex as you need it to be.
Now let's say that Plebe shows up with his friend Fork the Rogue. Well, together they are a little stronger than being alone. The ME:A will read this and send that information to the triggers (the encounter triggrs simply keep a running total). When one of the encounter trigger is hit, it can feel free to choose from more of the same (yay--goblins!) or it can decide to use a replacement method (by rolling randomly) to see if all or part of all those goblins that would have been spawned are replaced with something a little stronger (Wow--a super goblin is worth 3 goblins!)
Keep in mind that as a character leaves the area, the ME:A takes note of that, and sends this information to the encounter triggers in the form of a negative number. The "resting state" of any encounter trigger would be 0 (no one on the map).
How this forces team play. One character enters the map from point ME:A. Another comes in from ME:B. Well, ME:B is hooked up to all those triggers too, and sends it's information to them. Imagine the shock as the CR of the encounters map-wide suddenly go up! The characters find and work with each other for their mutual benefit. (great way to make friends!)
Now of course there have to be reasonable limitations to what can be spawned on a map. Even an Uber character shouldn't raise the average CR of an encounter trigger beyond a certain point. This allows the low-level guys on a low level map to feel the burn, so to speak. It also means that encounters are randomized enough that the characters get to use a variety of tactics and aren't going "wow....another group of goblins." Now they will go "Wow...did you see that super-goblin in that group!" or even stumble upon "rares" that provide extra experience or treasure for those lucky enough to find them.

Those are my two starting ideas. I hope they make some sense, and I want this to be discussed. Perhaps we can iron out some details. Perhaps you can find something even better.
Back to top Go down
Milamber
Admin

Tigger Events and Cr calculations Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tigger Events and Cr calculations   Tigger Events and Cr calculations Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:26 pm

~Moved to proper section
Back to top Go down
https://finalfantasyreloaded.forumotion.com

Tigger Events and Cr calculations
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Final Fantasy Reloaded :: OOC :: Suggestions & Complaints-
Jump to: